Travel to Sapa and uncover the jewel of Vietnam's verdant northwest. The region is home to terraced mountainsides descending into valleys like magnificent staircases, a multitude of minority cultures, and quaint villages hidden in the distant green hills. This short six-day adventure features an exclusive stay at an ecolodge deep in the misty mountains of Hoang Lien National Park, a stand out destination for budding shuterbugs with photographic opportunities around every turn. With plenty of scenery and exotic wildlife to discover, this is Vietnam at its picturesque best.
Destination included: Hanoi - Sapa
Duration: 6 Days
Why you'll love this trip
- Embark on several of Sapa's scenic day treks. With idyllic green landscapes, ethnic hill-tribe villages and hidden waterfalls, this is a slice of Vietnam that will linger long in the memory.
- Your 2-night feature stay in the unique white granite cabins at Topas Ecolodge will give you a stunning perspective of this beautiful country
- Be rewarded at the end of your trekking with spectacular views of the Hoang Lien mountains while enjoying the comforts of the Topas Ecolodge.
- Pick a path through the terraced rice fields of Sapa, which shimmer like mirrors after being watered by local farmers.
Day 1: Ha Noi arrival (L)
Welcome to Vietnam! Upon your arrival in Hanoi, your guide will meet you and escort you to your hotel. The rest of the day is for you to get rid of the jet lag and have a rest.
Meal: not available
Day 2: Ha Noi -Sapa (B,L)
Your journey to the verdant mountains of northwest Vietnam begins with a private bus ride to Sapa (approximately 5 hours). Considered a summer capital by the French in the early 20th century, Sapa’s grown into the crown jewel of Vietnamese tourism since being opened to international visitors in 1993. The mix of ethnic cultures, eye-popping scenery and hill-tribe villages make it an ideal place to see on foot.
After lunch, begin guided 2-3 hour moderate trek down to the hill tribe villages of Cat Cat, often taking a paved path and passing a waterfall. The villages are home to the H'mong people who originated from China about 300 years ago. The H'mong people are easily recognizable by their dark-blue or black clothing. The dye is made from the indigo plant, which is native to the area. H'mong women wear long aprons with embroidered waist-coats and have their hair rolled up into a turban-like hat, while the men wear a black skullcap. You are likely to encounter local H’mong traders, who are often described as persistent and aggressive in their sales techniques. Please respect that this approach is usually the result of the competitive nature of business, and only purchase items if you wish too. In the late afternoon, return to Sapa to spend the night in a hotel.
Meals: breakfast, lunch
Day 3: Sapa (B,L)
After breakfast meet your local guide, leaving Sapa by vehicle and traveling southwards.
The first 16km portion of the road offers spectacular landscapes of Hoang Lien mountain range, Fansipan peak as well as marvelous terraced rice fields of the Muong Hoa valley. Enjoy several photo stops before arriving to Su Pan commune where customers will pay visiting to Hoa Su Pan, a small hamlet of the Black Hmong for half an hour.
Continue the trip along the road further south to Muong Bo valley of Thanh Phu commune. Walking along the large village path for nearly an hour, paying visiting to several homes of the Tay people who live in spacious houses built on stilts, witnessing their daily life and experiencing their hospitality. Lunch break in a local home.
After lunch take a short drive along the rocky road to My Son and spend half an hour to walk around this charming village of the Xa Pho ethnic whose population is only more than 6 thousand people for a brief understanding of their very unique culture and custom. Then process further for 10km to Nam Cang commune for visiting a beautiful and prosperous village of the Red Zao people in Nam Than village. This portion of the road ride offers beautiful scenery of the Nam Sai valley.
Afterwards you’ll need a well-earned rest and rest is what you’ll find at Topas Ecolodge in Hoang Lien National Park. After arriving via private bus transfer take in the views from your private room across the valley in this majestic location. Perhaps even take a massage or simply unwind at the lodge’s hilltop spa. (Other option of accommodation is available on request)
Meals: breakfast, lunch
Day 4: Sapa (B,L)
Make the short trek to Lech Village and back this morning. The village is home to the Red Dao ethnic minority, a remarkable people whose culture has remained relatively unaffected by outside visitors. Your camera will get a workout as you encounter the stunning vistas and rice paddies of the Thanh Kim valley. Stop to try the regional speciality of 7 colours sticky rice. This dish is so named as the rice is coloured with locally sourced ingredients natural ingredients such as leaves and flowers. Afterwards, the day is yours to spend as you please.
Day 5: Sapa- Ha Noi (B,L)
After breakfast, free at leisure until check-out. Transfer to Hanoi (approximately 5 hours driving) and use free time to discover its many treasures. Perhaps visit Hoan Kiem Lake, the excellent Ethnology Museum or the Hanoi Social Club.
Overnight: Ha Noi
Day 6: Ha Noi- Free time (B)
Your trip comes to an end after breakfast this morning. You will have free time till your guide escorts you to airport for your flight to next destination.
- Accommodation as mentioned in the program based on twin/double share. In case of unavailability another equivalent option will be replaced.
- Ground transportation in private air condition vehicle.
- Meals as mentioned in the program (B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Dinner).
- English speaking guide at each destination except contrary indications
- All admissions fees according to itinerary.
- All logistical services necessary for the organization of the program
- Meals or any other item not described in the itinerary
- Drinks during meals, and expenses of personal nature
- Tips & gratuities ( Tips is recommended around 3 USD/person/day and a half for driver if you satisfy with their services )